An Impeccable Track Record of 38 Years of Scientific Achievements in Health and Longevity
Life Extension has led the world uncovering new ways to prevent and treat the diseases of aging since 1980. We’ve unveiled innovative treatment protocols in our Life Extension Magazine® years before they were recognized by conventional medicine. Today, many of the advances we’ve championed have become standard medical practice. Below is a chronology of those advances and achievements, spanning over an incredible four decades.
- Recommended the use of low-dose aspirin on a daily basis to prevent vascular disease.
- The first organization in the world to recommend the Japanese cardiac drug coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) as an anti-aging nutrient.
- Warned against the intake of supplemental iron.
- Recommended the drug cimetidine (Tagamet®) as an adjuvant cancer therapy.
- Recommended the broad-spectrum anti-viral drug ribavirin to treat lethal viral infections 12 years before the FDA approved it as a treatment for Hepatitis C.
- Sued the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) because of its failure to approve Tacrine (THA) to treat Alzheimer's disease.
- Introduced melatonin to the American public as an effective anti-aging therapy.
- Founded the first mail-order blood screening service that offered state-of-the-art tests directly to the public.
- Published the first book that integrated hormone replacement, high-dose nutrient supplementation, prescription drugs, and conventional medical treatments for preventing and treating 110 diseases.
- Revealed the crucial importance of monitoring blood levels of fibrinogen.
- Recommended a drug to treat Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson’s disease called memantine that had been used in Germany since 1991.
- Reported that optimal glucose levels should be lower than current guidelines to reduce heart attack risk by 40%.
- Vindicated in its position that X-rays at any dose pose health risks to humans.
- Warned about an FDA-approved fish oil drug priced 797% higher than supplements containing the same amount of EPA/DHA.
- Introduced a form of coenzyme Q10 (ubiquinol) vastly superior to commercial CoQ10 supplements.
- Compiled data showing life-extending benefits of supplementing with higher-dose vitamin D.
- Shed light on the lethal consequences of low-dose aspirin and CoQ10 censorship by the FDA.
- Reported on a 2015 discussion in the research community about initiating a human study of metformin's anti-aging properties.
- Reported on a strawberry extract called fisetin that has been shown to enhance the calorie restriction mimetic action of resveratrol.
- Introduced a novel compound called PQQ (Pyrroloquinoline quinone), that has been shown to rejuvenate aging cells by promoting the growth of new mitochondria.
- Published a book (Pharmocracy) that exposed how inefficient and corrupt government practices stifle medical innovation and cause healthcare prices to spiral out of control.