Creating Immortal GenesNovember 2014
By William Faloon
Creating Immortality Genes
Before the successful study at the University of Wisconsin, it was hard to point to an example of genetic manipulation that resulted in the creation of living matter resistant to something as deadly as high-intensity radiation. Skeptics challenged our assertions that finding a way to slow and reverse human aging may be as simple as identifying and correcting adverse gene expression changes that occur as we age.
By way of analogy, newborn humans usually remain in a stable healthy state for close to 25 years before outward senescent changes manifest. This means that the mere passage of time does not automatically condemn humans to degenerative aging.
When we can program our genes as easily as we do computers, humans might not need to suffer degenerative aging. They could possibly live in a long-term state of robust biological youth.
Your support has enabled Life Extension® to fund novel gene expression research. The encouraging news is that others (such as the founders of Google) are recognizing the importance of this field of study and are contributing their own money and resources to advance the science.
In this month’s issue, we profile Dr. J. Craig Venter, a billionaire who is building the largest human DNA sequencing operation in the world, capable of processing 40,000 human genomes a year. Dr. Venter is seeking to use DNA sequencing to identify the molecular causes of aging and age-related illnesses so that humans can live longer and healthier.
For longer life,
- Mettler FA Jr1, Gus’kova AK, Gusev I. Health effects in those with acute radiation sickness from the Chernobyl accident. Health Phys. 2007 Nov;93(5):462-9.
- Narayanan DL, Saladi RN, Fox JL. Ultraviolet radiation and skin cancer. Int J Dermatol. 2010 Sep;49(9):978-86.
- Gujral DM, Chahal N, Senior R, Harrington KJ, Nutting CM. Radiation-induced carotid artery atherosclerosis. Radiother Oncol. 2014 Jan;110(1):31-8.
- Byrne RT, Klingele AJ, Cabot EL, et al. Evolution of extreme resistance to ionizing radiation via genetic adaptation of DNA repair. Elife. 2014 Jan 1;3:e01322.
- Hart RW, D’Ambrosio SM,Ng KJ, Modak SP. Longevity, stability and DNA repair. Mech Ageing Dev. 1979 Feb;9(3-4):203-23.
- Freitas AA, de Magalhães JP. A review and appraisal of the DNA damage theory of ageing. Mutat Res. 2011 Jul-Oct;728(1-2):12-22.
- Available at: http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/understand/health_effects.html. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Available at: http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/radiation/health-effects/measuring-radiation.html. Accessed August 12, 2014.
- Levin SG, Young RW, Stohler RL. Estimation of median human lethal radiation dose computed from data on occupants of reinforced concrete structures in Nagasaki, Japan. Health Phys. 1992 Nov;63(5):522-31.
- Lin EC. Radiation risk from medical imaging. Mayo Clin Pro. 2010 Dec;85(12): 1142-6.
- Hall EJ, Brenner DJ. Cancer risks from diagnostic radiology. Br J Radiol. 2008 May;81(965):362-78.
- Uphoff S, Reyes-Lamothe R, Garza de Leon F, Sherratt DJ, Kapanidis AN. Single-molecule DNA repair in live bacteria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 May 14;110(20):8063-8.
- Fukui K. DNA mismatch repair in eukaryotes and bacteria. J Nucleic Acids. 2010 Jul 27;2010.
- Bernstein KA, Gangloff S, Rothstein R. The RecQ DNA helicases in DNA repair. Annu Rev Genet. 2010;44:393-417.
- Nair-Shalliker V, Armstrong BK, Fenech M. Does vitamin D protect against DNA damage? Mutat Res. 2012 May 1;733(1-2):50-7.
- Halicka HD, Zhao H, Li J, Traganos F, Studzinski GP, Darzynkiewicz Z. Attenuation of constitutive DNA damage signaling by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. Aging (Albany NY). 2012 Apr;4(4):270-8.
- Available at: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2013/aug2013_The-Overlooked-Importance-of-Vitamin-D-Receptors_01.htm. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Fleet JC, DeSmet M, Johnson R, Li Y. Vitamin D and cancer: a review of molecular mechanisms. Biochem J. 2012 Jan 1;441(1):61-76.
- Ames BN. A role for supplements in optimizing health: the metabolic tune-up. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2004 Mar 1;423(1):227-34.
- Wei Q, Shen H, Wang LE, et al. Association between low dietary folate intake and suboptimal cellular DNA repair capacity. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003 Oct;12(10):963-9.
- Duthie SJ. Folate and cancer: how DNA damage, repair and methylation impact on colon carcinogenesis. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2011 Feb;34(1):101-9.
- Basten GP, Duthie SJ, Pirie L, Vaughan N, Hill MH, Powers HJ. Sensitivity of markers of DNA stability and DNA repair activity to folate supplementation in healthy volunteers. Br J Cancer. 2006 Jun 19;94(12):1942-7.
- Choi SW, Kim YI, Weitzel JN, Mason JB. Folate depletion impairs DNA excision repair in the colon of the rat. Gut. 1998 Jul;43(1):93-9.
- Kruman II, Kumaravel TS, Lohani A, et al. Folic acid deficiency and homocysteine impair DNA repair in hippocampal neurons and sensitize them to amyloid toxicity in experimental models of Alzheimer’s disease. J Neurosci. 2002 Mar 1;22(5):1752-62.
- Sadik NA, Shaker OG. Dietary folate suppresses DMH-induced colon carcinogenesis in a rat model and affects DMH-induced expression of four DNA repair enzymes. Nutr Cancer. 2012 64(8):1196-203.
- Hong MY, Lupton JR, Morris JS, et al. Dietary fish oil reduces O6-methylguanine DNA adduct levels in rat colon in part by increasing apoptosis during tumor initiation. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2000 Aug;9(8):819-26.
- Ghorbanihaghjo A, Safa J, Alizadeh S, et al. Protective effect of fish oil supplementation on DNA damage induced by cigarette smoking. J Health Popul Nutr. 2013 Sep;31(3):343-9.
- Stephenson JA, Al-Taan O, Arshad A, Morgan B, Metcalfe MS, Dennison AR. The multifaceted effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on the hallmarks of cancer. J Lipids. 2013;2013:261247.
- Alzoubi K, Khabour O, Hussain N, Al-Azzam S, Mhaidat N. Evaluation of vitamin B12 effects on DNA damage induced by pioglitazone. Mutat Res. 2012 Oct 9;748(1-2):48-51.
- Sweetman SF, Strain JJ, McKelvey-Martin VJ. Effect of antioxidant vitamin supplementation on DNA damage and repair in human lymphoblastoid cells. Nutr Cancer. 1997;27(2):122-30.
- Cooke MS, Evans MD, Podmore ID, et al. Novel repair action of vitamin C upon in vivo oxidative DNA damage. FEBS Lett. 1998 Nov 20;439(3):363-7.
- Surjana D, Halliday GM, Damian DL. Role of nicotinamide in DNA damage, mutagenesis, and DNA repair. J Nucleic Acids. 2010 Jul 25;2010.
- Tomasetti M, Alleva R, Borghi B, Collins AR. In vivo supplementation with coenzyme Q10 enhances the recovery of human lymphocytes from oxidative DNA damage. FASEB J. 2001 Jun;15(8):1425-7.
- Song Y, Leonard SW, Traber MG, Ho E. Zinc deficiency affects DNA damage, oxidative stress, antioxidant defenses, and DNA repair in rats. J Nutr. 2009 Sep;139(9):1626-31.
- Harwig A. Role of magnesium in genomic stability. Mutat Res. 2001 Apr 18;475(1-2):113-21.
- Mahabir S, Wei Q, Barrera SL, et al. Dietary magnesium and DNA repair capacity as risk factors for lung cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2008 May;29(5):949-56.
- de Rosa V, Erkekoğlu P, Forestier A, et al. Low doses of selenium specifically stimulate the repair of oxidative DNA damage in LNCaP prostate cancer cells. Free Radic Res. 2012;46:105-16.
- Nichols JA, Katiyar SK. Skin photoprotection by natural polyphenols: anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and DNA repair mechanisms. Arch Dermatol Res. 2010 Mar;302(2):71-83.
- Zattra E, Coleman C, Arad S, et al. Polypodium leucotomos extract decreases UV-induced Cox-2 expression and inflammation, enhances DNA repair, and decreases mutagenesis in hairless mice. Am J Pathol. 2009 Nov;175(5):1952-61.
- Tan X, Zhao C, Pan J, et al. In vivo non-enzymatic repair of DNA oxidative damage by polyphenols. Cell Biol Int. 2009 Jun;33(6):690-6.
- Katiyar SK, van Steeg H, Sharma SD. Dietary grape seed proanthocyanidins induce rapid repair of DNA damage via nucleotide excision repair genes in preventing UV-induced immunosuppression. Cancer Res. 2010;70(8 Suppl).
- Mansouri E, Khorsandi L, Abedi HA. Antioxidant effects of proanthocyanidin from grape seed on hepatic tissue injury in diabetic rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci. 2014;17(6):460-4.
- Roy M, Sinha D, Mukherjee S, Biswas J. Curcumin prevents DNA damage and enhances the repair potential in a chronically arsenic-exposed human population in West Bengal, India. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2011 Mar;20(2):123-31.
- Mukherjee S, Roy M, Dey S, Bhattacharya RK. A mechanistic approach for modulation of arsenic toxicity in human lymphocytes by curcumin, an active constituent of medicinal herb Curcuma longa Linn. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2007 Jul;41(1):32-42.
- Astley SB, Elliott RM, Archer DB, Southon S. Increased cellular carotenoid levels reduce the persistence of DNA single-strand breaks after oxidative challenge. Nutr Cancer. 2002 43(2):202-13.
- Lorenzo Y, Azqueta A, Luna L, Bonilla F, Domínguez G, Collins AR. The carotenoid beta-cryptoxanthin stimulates the repair of DNA oxidation damage in addition to acting as an antioxidant in human cells. Carcinogenesis. 2009 Feb;30(2):308-14.
- Astley SB, Elliot RM, Archer DB, Southon S. Evidence that dietary supplementation with carotenoids and carotenoid-rich foods modulate the DNA damage: repair balance system in human lymphocytes. Br J Nutr. 2004 Jan;91(1):63-72
- Chou YC, Chu CH, Wu MH, et al. Dietary intake of vitamin B(6) and risk of breast cancer in Taiwanese women. J Epidemiol. 2011;21(5):329-36.
- Le Marchand L, White KK, Nomura AM, et al. Plasma levels of B vitamins and colorectal cancer risk: the multiethnic cohort study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009 Aug;18(8):2195-201.
- Dibra HK, Brown JE, Hooley P, Nicholl ID. Aspirin and alterations in DNA repair proteins in the SW480 colorectal cancer cell line. Oncol Rep. 2010 Jul;24(1):37-46.
- Goel A, Chang DK, Ricciardiello L, Gasche C, Boland CR. A novel mechanism for aspirin-mediated growth inhibition of human colon cancer cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2003 Jan;9:383.
- Available at: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/567329. Accessed July 18, 2014.
- Available at: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jna/2010/157591/. Accessed August 27, 2014.
- Available at: http://www.jbc.org/content/268/8/5480.abstract. Accessed August 27, 2014.