Life Extension Update
Tuesday, July 12, 2016
A meta-analysis reported on June 16, 2016, in the Nature journal Scientific Reports adds evidence to an association of greater intake or blood levels of long chain polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids with a lower risk of mortality from any cause over follow-up.
Guo-Chong Chen of Soochow University in China and colleagues selected 11 prospective studies involving 371,965 men and women for their analysis. Excluded studies involved those with subjects who had type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, heart failure, and kidney disease. Seven studies examined the association between omega-3 fatty acid intake and mortality over follow-up and four analyzed the association between the risk of mortality and blood levels of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). The studies documented 31,185 deaths over follow-up periods that ranged from five to 30.7 years.
Subjects whose omega-3 fatty acid intake was among the highest were 9% less likely to die on average over follow-up compared with those whose intake was among the lowest. Each 300 milligram per day increase in EPA and DHA was associated with a 6% lower risk of mortality from all causes. When studies that examined circulating levels were analyzed, each 1% increment in the proportion of EPA or DHA in total blood fatty acids was associated with a 20% or 21% lower risk of death, respectively. "This meta-analysis of prospective observational studies suggests that both dietary and circulating omega-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids are significantly inversely associated with risk of all-cause mortality," the authors conclude.
"The meta-analysis of 11 prospective observational studies demonstrates that each 1% increment of omega-3s in total fatty acids in blood may be associated with a 20% decrease in risk of all-cause mortality," noted coauthor Manfred Eggersdorfer. "This is an important finding for the potential contribution of adequate omega-3 intake to public health."
This supplement should be taken in conjunction with a healthy diet and regular exercise program. Individual results are not guaranteed and results may vary.
**This offer good one time only. Shipping fees, Life Extension Magazine® subscriptions, CHOICE and Premier program fees, and purchases made with LE Dollars or gift cards do not count toward your order total. Your purchase must total $100 or more in a single order for the $10 discount to apply. Standard shipping and handling (regularly $5.50) in the U.S., includes Alaska and Hawaii.
The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. You should not stop taking any medication without first consulting your physician.
If you are not 100% satisfied with any purchase made directly from Life Extension®, just return your purchase within 12 months of original purchase date and we will either replace the product for you, credit your original payment method or credit your Life Extension account for the full amount of the original purchase price (less shipping and handling).
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.