Doctors Overlook Novel Methods to Prevent Heart AttackMay 2005
By William Faloon
1. Nissen SE, Tuzcu EM, Schoenhagen P, et al. Statin therapy, LDL cholesterol, C-reactive protein, and coronary artery disease. N Engl J Med. 2005 Jan 6;352(1):29-38.
2. Ridker PM, Cannon CP, Morrow D, et al. C-reactive protein levels and outcomes after statin therapy. N Engl J Med. 2005 Jan 6;352(1):20-8.
3. Agmon Y, Khandheria BK, Meissner I, et al. C-reactive protein and atherosclerosis of the thoracic aorta. Arch Intern Med. 2004 Sept 13;164(16):1781-87.
4. Ridker PM, Rifai N, Rose L, Buring JE, Cook NR. Comparison of C-reactive protein and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in the prediction of first cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med. 2002 Nov 14;347(20):1557-65.
5. Krumholz HM, Seeman TE, Merrill SS, et al. Lack of association between cholesterol and coronary heart disease mortality and morbidity and all-cause mortality in persons older than 70 years. JAMA. 1994 Nov 2;272(17):1335-40.
6. Rifai N, Ridker PM. Proposed cardiovascular risk assessment algorithm using high-sensitivity C-reactive protein and lipid screening. Clin Chem. 2001 Jan;47(1):28-30.
7. Ridker PM, Cushman M, Stampfer MJ, Tracy RP, Hennekens CH. Inflammation, aspirin, and the risk of cardiovascular disease in apparently healthy men. N Engl J Med. 1997 Apr 3;336(14):973-9.
8. Ridker PM, Buring JE, Shih J, Matias M, Hennekens CH. Prospective study of C-reactive protein and the risk of future cardiovascular events among apparently healthy women. Circulation. 1998 Aug 25;98(8):731-3.
9. Harris TB, Ferrucci L, Tracy RP, et al. Associations of elevated interleukin-6 and C-reactive protein levels with mortality in the elderly. Am J Med. 1999 May;106(5):506-12.
10. Richter V, Purschwitz K, Rassoul F, Thiery J, Zunft HJ, Leitzmann C. Effects of diet modification on cardiovascular risk: results from the leipzig wholesome nutrition study. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2004 Aug;13(Suppl):S106.
11. Pirro M, Schillaci G, Savarese G, et al. Attenuation of inflammation with short-term dietary intervention is associated with a reduction of arterial stiffness in subjects with hypercholesterolaemia. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2004 Dec;11(6):497-502.
12. Esposito K, Pontillo A, Di Palo C, et al. Effect of weight loss and lifestyle changes on vascular inflammatory markers in obese women: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2003 Apr 9;289(14):1799-804.
13. McCarty MF. Low-insulin-response diets may decrease plasma C-reactive protein by influencing adipocyte function. Med Hypotheses. 2005;64(2):385-7.
14. Bahceci M, Tuzcu A, Canoruc N, Tuzun Y, Kidir V, Aslan C. Serum C-reactive protein (CRP) levels and insulin resistance in non-obese women with polycystic ovarian syndrome, and effect of bicalutamide on hirsutism, CRP levels and insulin resistance. Horm Res. 2004 62(6):283-7.
15. Putz DM, Goldner WS, Bar RS, Haynes WG, Sivitz WI. Adiponectin and C-reactive protein in obesity, type 2 diabetes, and monodrug therapy. Metabolism. 2004 Nov;53(11):1454-61.
16. Salmenniemi U, Ruotsalainen E, Pihlajamaki J, et al. Multiple abnormalities in glucose and energy metabolism and coordinated changes in levels of adiponectin, cytokines, and adhesion molecules in subjects with metabolic syndrome. Circulation. 2004 Dec 21;110(25):3842-8.
17. Pereira MA, Swain J, Goldfine AB, Rifai N, Ludwig DS. Effects of a low-glycemic load diet on resting energy expenditure and heart disease risk factors during weight loss. JAMA. 2004 Nov 24;292(20):2482-90.
18. Daskalopoulou SS, Mikhailidis DP, Elisaf M. Prevention and treatment of the metabolic syndrome. Angiology. 2004 Nov-Dec;55(6):589-612.
19. Aronson D, Sella R, Sheikh-Ahmad M, et al. The association between cardiorespiratory fitness and C-reactive protein in subjects with the metabolic syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004 Nov 16;44(10):2003-7.
20. Jenkins DJ, Kendall CW, Marchie A, et al. Effects of a dietary portfolio of cholesterol-lowering foods vs lovastatin on serum lipids and C-reactive protein. JAMA. 2003 Jul 23;290(4):502-10.
21. Bellinghieri G, Santoro D, Calvani M, Savica V. Role of carnitine in modulating acute-phase protein synthesis in hemodialysis patients. J Ren Nutr. 2005 Jan;15(1):13-7
22. Savica V, Calvani M, Benatti P, et al. Carnitine system in uremic patients: molecular and clinical aspects. Semin Nephrol. 2004 Sep;24(5):464-8
23. Paquette DW. The periodontal-cardiovascular link. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2004 Sep;25(9):681-2.
24. Marchioli R, Barzi F, Bomba E, et al. Early protection against sudden death by n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids after myocardial infarction. Circulation. 2002 Apr 23;105(16):1897-903.
25. Lopez-Garcia E, Schulze MB, Manson JE, et al. Consumption of (n-3) fatty acids is related to plasma biomarkers of inflammation and endothelial activation in women. J Nutr. 2004 Jul;134(7):1806-11.
26. Pischon T, Hankinson SE, Hotamisligil GS, Rifai N, Willett WC, Rimm EB. Habitual dietary intake of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids in relation to inflammatory markers among US men and women. Circulation. 2003 Jul 15;108(2):155-60.
27. Madsen T, Skou HA, Hansen VE, et al. C-reactive protein, dietary n-3 fatty acids, and the extent of coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol. 2001 Nov 15;88(10):1139-42.
28. Trebble TM, Arden NK, Wootton SA, et al. Fish oil and antioxidants alter the composition and function of circulating mononuclear cells in Crohn disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Nov;80(5):1137-44.
29. Jellema A, Plat J, Mensink RP. Weight reduction, but not a moderate intake of fish oil, lowers concentrations of inflammatory markers and PAI-1 antigen in obese men during the fasting and postprandial state. Eur J Clin Invest. 2004 Nov;34(11):766-73.
30. Geelen A, Brouwer IA, Schouten EG, Kluft C, Katan MB, Zock PL. Intake of n-3 fatty acids from fish does not lower serum concentrations of C-reactive protein in healthy subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004 Oct;58(10):1440-2.
31. Esposito K, Marfella R, Ciotola M, et al. Effect of a Mediterranean-style diet on endothelial dysfunction and markers of vascular inflammation in the metabolic syndrome: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2004 Sep 22;292(12):1440-6.
32. Mori TA, Woodman RJ, Burke V, Puddey IB, Croft KD, Beilin LJ. Effect of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid on oxidative stress and inflammatory markers in treated-hypertensive type 2 diabetic subjects. Free Radic Biol Med. 2003 Oct 1;35(7):772-81.
33. Madsen T, Christensen JH, Blom M, Schmidt EB. The effect of dietary n-3 fatty acids on serum concentrations of C-reactive protein: a dose-response study. Br J Nutr. 2003 Apr;89(4):517-22.
34. Ciubotaru I, Lee YS, Wander RC. Dietary fish oil decreases C-reactive protein, interleukin-6, and triacylglycerol to HDL-cholesterol ratio in postmenopausal women on HRT. J Nutr Biochem. 2003 Sep;14(9):513-21.
35. Finch CE. Developmental origins of aging in brain and blood vessels: an overview. Neurobiol Aging. 2005 Mar;26(3):281-91.
36. Jialal I, Devaraj S, Venugopal SK. Oxidative stress, inflammation, and diabetic vasculopathies: the role of alpha tocopherol therapy. Free Radic Res. 2002 Dec;36(12):1331-6.
37. Upritchard JE, Sutherland WH, Mann JI. Effect of supplementation with tomato juice, vitamin E, and vitamin C on LDL oxidation and products of inflammatory activity in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2000 Jun;23(6):733-8.
38. Wang XL, Rainwater DL, Mahaney MC, Stocker R. Cosupplementation with vitamin E and coenzyme Q10 reduces circulating markers of inflammation in baboons. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Sep;80(3):649-55.
39. Murphy RT, Foley JB, Tome MT, et al. Vitamin E modulation of C-reactive protein in smokers with acute coronary syndromes. Free Radic Biol Med. 2004 Apr 15;36(8):959-65.
40. Himmelfarb J, Kane J, McMonagle E, et al. Alpha and gamma tocopherol metabolism in healthy subjects and patients with end-stage renal disease. Kidney Int. 2003 Sep;64(3):978-91.
41. Jiang Q, Ames BN. Gamma-tocopherol, but not alpha-tocopherol, decreases proinflammatory eicosanoids and inflammation damage in rats. FASEB J. 2003 May;17(8):816-22.
42. Devaraj S, Jialal I. Alpha tocopherol supplementation decreases serum C-reactive protein and monocyte interleukin-6 levels in normal volunteers and type 2 diabetic patients. Free Radic Biol Med. 2000 Oct 15;29(8):790-2.
43. Ford DE, Erlinger TP. Depression and C-reactive protein in US adults: data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Arch Intern Med. 2004 May 10;164(9):1010-4.
44. Ajani UA, Ford ES, Mokdad AH. Dietary fiber and C-reactive protein: findings from national health and nutrition examination survey data. J Nutr. 2004 May;134(5):1181-5.
45. Available at: http://www.labcorp.com/dos/index.html. Accessed February 16, 2005.
46. Woo KS, Chook P, Chan LL, et al. Long- term improvement in homocysteine levels and arterial endothelial function after 1- year folic acid supplementation. Am J Med. 2002 May;112(7):535-9.
47. Doshi S, McDowell I, Moat S, Lewis M, Goodfellow J. Folate improves endothelial function in patients with coronary heart disease. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2003 Nov;41(11):1505-12.
48. Doshi SN, McDowell IF, Moat SJ, et al. Folic acid improves endothelial function in coronary artery disease via mechanisms largely independent of homocysteine lowering. Circulation. 2002 Jan 1;105(1):22-6.
49. Paradisi G, Cucinelli F, Mele MC, Barini A, Lanzone A, Caruso A. Endothelial function in post-menopausal women: effect of folic acid supplementation. Hum Reprod. 2004 Apr;19(4):1031-5.
50. Pena AS, Wiltshire E, Gent R, Hirte C, Couper J. Folic acid improves endothelial function in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes. J Pediatr. 2004 Apr;144(4):500-4.
51. Moat SJ, Lang D, McDowell IF, et al. Folate, homocysteine, endothelial function and cardiovascular disease. J Nutr Biochem. 2004 Feb;15(2):64-79.
52. Chin JP, Dart AM. Therapeutic restoration of endothelial function in hypercholesterolaemic subjects: effect of fish oils. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 1994 Oct;21(10):749-55.
53. Goodfellow J, Bellamy MF, Ramsey MW, et al. Dietary supplementation with marine omega-3 fatty acids improve systemic large artery endothelial function in subjects with hypercholesterolemia. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000 Feb;35(2):265-70.
54. De Caterina R, Spiecker M, Solaini G, et al. The inhibition of endothelial activation by unsaturated fatty acids. Lipids. 1999 34;Suppl:S191-4.
55. Gokce N, Keaney JF Jr, Frei B, et al. Long- term ascorbic acid administration reverses endothelial vasomotor dysfunction in patients with coronary artery disease. Circulation. 1999 Jun 29;99(25):3234-40.
56. Jeserich M, Schindler T, Olschewski M, Unmussig M, Just H, Solzbach U. Vitamin C improves endothelial function of epicardial coronary arteries in patients with hypercholesterolaemia or essential hypertension—assessed by cold pressor testing. Eur Heart J. 1999 Nov;20(22):1676-80.
57. Deng YB, Xiang HJ, Chang Q, Li CL. Evaluation by high-resolution ultrasonography of endothelial function in brachial artery after Kawasaki disease and the effects of intravenous administration of vitamin C. Circ J. 2002 Oct;66(10):908-12.
58. Ling L, Zhao SP, Gao M, Zhou QC, Li YL, Xia B. Vitamin C preserves endothelial function in patients with coronary heart disease after a high-fat meal. Clin Cardiol. 2002 May;25(5):219-24.
59. Singh N, Graves J, Taylor PD, MacAllister RJ, Singer DR. Effects of a ‘healthy’ diet and of acute and long-term vitamin C on vascular function in healthy older subjects. Cardiovasc Res. 2002 Oct;56(1):118-25.
60. Smith AR, Hagen TM. Vascular endothelial dysfunction in aging: loss of Akt-dependent endothelial nitric oxide synthase phosphorylation and partial restoration by (R)-alpha-lipoic acid. Biochem Soc Trans. 2003 Dec;31(Pt 6):1447-9.
61. Jones W, Li X, Qu ZC, Perriott L, Whitesell RR, May JM. Uptake, recycling, and antioxidant actions of alpha-lipoic acid in endothelial cells. Free Radic Biol Med. 2002 Jul 1;33(1):83-93.
62. Zhang WJ, Frei B. Alpha-lipoic acid inhibits TNF-alpha-induced NF-kappaB activation and adhesion molecule expression in human aortic endothelial cells. FASEB J. 2001 Nov;15(13):2423-32.
63. Morcos M, Borcea V, Isermann B, et al. Effect of alpha-lipoic acid on the progression of endothelial cell damage and albuminuria in patients with diabetes mellitus: an exploratory study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2001 Jun;52(3):175-83.
64. Kunt T, Forst T, Wilhelm A, et al. Alpha- lipoic acid reduces expression of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 and endothelial adhesion of human monocytes after stimulation with advanced glycation end products. Clin Sci (Lond). 1999 Jan;96(1):75-82.
65. Available at: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2004/nov2004_report_sytrinol_01.htm. Accessed February 16, 2005.
66. Available at: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2004/nov2004_report_statin_01.htm. Accessed February 16, 2005.
67. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=stryer.section.3653. Accessed February 16, 2005.
68. Wood WG, Schroeder F, Avdulov NA, Chochina SV, Igbavboa U. Recent advances in brain cholesterol dynamics: transport, domains, and Alzheimer’s disease. Lipids. 1999 Mar;34(3):225-34.
69. Alfin-Slater RB, Aftergood L. Lipids. In: Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease. Goodhart RS, Shils ME, eds, 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger; 1980:134.
70. Yeagle PL. Modulation of membrane function by cholesterol. Biochimie. 1991 Oct;73(10):1303-10.
71. Neaton JD, Blackburn H, Jacobs D, et al. Serum cholesterol level and mortality findings for men screened in the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial. Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial Research Group. Arch Intern Med. 1992 Jul;152(7):1490-500.
72. Behar S, Graff E, Reicher-Reiss H, et al. Low total cholesterol is associated with high total mortality in patients with coronary heart disease. The Bezafibrate Infarction Prevention (BIP) Study Group. Heart J. 1997 Jan;18(1):52-9.
73. Rabe-Jablonska J, Poprawska I. Levels of serum total cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol in patients with major depression in acute period and remission. Med Sci Monit. 2000 May-Jun;6(3):539-47.
74. Cassidy F, Carroll BJ. Hypocholesterolemia during mixed manic episodes. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2002 Jun;252(3):110-4.
75. Atmaca M, Kuloglu M, Tezcan E, Ustundag B, Bayik Y. Serum leptin and cholesterol levels in patients with bipolar disorder. Neuropsychobiology.
76. Glueck CJ, Tieger M, Kunkel R, Hamer T, Tracy T, Speirs J. Hypocholesterolemia and affective disorders. Am J Med Sci. 1994 Oct;308(4):218-25.
77. Sarchiapone M, Roy A, Camardese G, De Risio S.Further evidence for low serum cho- lesterol and suicidal behaviour. J Affect Disord. 2000 Dec;61(1-2):69-71.
78. Boston PF, Dursun SM, Reveley MA. Cholesterol and mental disorder. Br JPsychiatry. 1996 Dec;169(6):682-9.
79. Engelberg H. Low serum cholesterol and suicide. Lancet. 1992 Mar 21;339(8795):727-9.