Topical Lycopene Improves Skin Cellular FunctionSeptember 2012
By Gary Goldfaden, MD And Robert Goldfaden
1. Namitha KK, Negi PS. Chemistry and biotechnology of carotenoids. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2010 Sep;50(8):728-60.
2. Rao AV, Rao LG. Carotenoids and human health. Pharmacol Res. 2007 Mar;55(3):207-16. Epub 2007 Jan 25.3. Evans JA, Johnson EJ. The role of phytonutrients in skin health. Nutrients. 2010 Aug;2(8):903-28. Epub 2010 Aug 24.
4. Shi J, Le Maguer M. Lycopene in tomatoes: chemical and physical properties affected by food processing. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2000 Jan;40(1):1-42.
5. Alda LM, Gogoasa I, Bordean DM, et al. Lycopene content of tomatoes and tomato products. Journal of Agroalimentary Processes and Technologies. 2009;15(4):540-542.
6. Khachik F, Carvalho L, Bernstein PS, Muir GJ, Zhao DY, Katz NB. Chemistry, distribution, and metabolism of tomato carotenoids and their impact on human health. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2002 Nov;227(10):845-51.
7. Lopes LB, Reed R. A simple and rapid method to assess lycopene in multiple layers of skin samples. Biomed Chromatogr. 2010 Feb;24(2):154-9.
8. Available at: http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/lycopene.html. Accessed May 25, 2012.
9. Available at: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/s15327914nc4702_11#preview. Accessed May 25, 2012.
10. Shi J, Qu Q, Kakuda Y, Yeung D, Jiang Y. Stability and synergistic effect of antioxidative properties of lycopene and other active components. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2004;44:559—73.
11. Aust O, Ale-Agha N, Zhang L, Wollersen H, Sies H, Stahl W. Lycopene oxidation product enhances gap junctional communication. Food Chem Toxicol. 2003 Oct;41(10):1399-407.
12 White, Thomas W.; Paul, David L. Genetic diseases and gene knockouts reveal diverse connexin functions. Annu Rev Physiol. 1999;61:283-310.
13. Saez JC, Berthoud VM, Branes MC, Martinez AD, Beyer EC. Plasma membrane channels formed by connexins: their regulation and functions. Physiol Rev. 2003 Oct;83(4):1359-400.
14. Huang CS, Fan YE, Lin CY, Hu ML. Lycopene inhibits matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression and down-regulates the binding activity of nuclear factor-kappa B and stimulatory protein-1. J Nutr Biochem. 2007 Jul;18(7):449-56. Epub 2006 Oct 17.