Novel Method Boosts Milk Thistle Liver Concentration 10-Fold!
By Raegan Linton
The seed extract of the common milk thistle, rich in silymarin and its active component, silybin, has now been thoroughly proven to mitigate and, in some cases, reverse liver damage. These compounds have efficacy in liver disease caused by alcohol, by diet and inactivity, by viruses, and by exogenous toxins. They can slow the deadly progression to cirrhosis, the end-stage of all liver diseases.
Researchers have found that when silybin is combined with phosphatidylcholine, the absorption and bioavailability of an oral dose of silybin is increased 10-fold.11 This breakthrough improves the delivery of the benefits of milk thistle extracts for liver health.
If you have any questions on the scientific content of this article, please call a Life Extension® Health Advisor at 1-866-864-3027.
- Available at: http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/alcoholic-liver-disease/print.html. Accessed July 29, 2013.
- Fu ZD, Csanaky IL, Klaassen CD. Effects of aging on mRNA profiles for drug-metabolizing enzymes and transporters in livers of male and female mice. Drug Metab Dispos. 2012 Jun;40(6):1216-25.
- Velussi M, Cernigoi AM, De Monte A, Dapas F, Caffau C, Zilli M. Long-term (12 months) treatment with an anti-oxidant drug (silymarin) is effective on hyperinsulinemia, exogenous insulin need and malondialdehyde levels in cirrhotic diabetic patients. J Hepatol. 1997 Apr;26(4):871-9.
- Yao J, Zhi M, Minhu C. Effect of silybin on high-fat-induced fatty liver in rats. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2011 Jul;44(7):652-9.
- Sangeetha N, Viswanathan P, Balasubramanian T, Nalini N. Colon cancer chemopreventive efficacy of silibinin through perturbation of xenobiotic metabolizing enzymes in experimental rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2012 Jan 15;674(2-3):430-8.
- Pradhan SC, Girish C. Hepatoprotective herbal drug, silymarin from experimental pharmacology to clinical medicine. Indian J Med Res. 2006 Nov;124(5):491-504.
- Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/milkthistle/Patient/page1/AllPages/Print. Accessed July 17, 2013.
- Conti M, Malandrino S, Magistretti MJ. Protective activity of silipide on liver damage in rodents. Jpn J Pharmacol. 1992 Dec;60(4):315-21.
- Available at: http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/4/4/272.pdf. Accessed July 17, 2013.
- Loguercio C, Andreone P, Brisc C, et al. Silybin combined with phosphatidylcholine and vitamin E in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a randomized controlled trial. Free Radic.Biol Med. 2012;52(9):1658-65.
- Morazzoni P, Magistretti MJ, Giachetti C, Zanolo G. Comparative bioavailability of silipide, a new flavanolignan complex, in rats. Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet. 1992 Jan-Mar;17(1):39-44.
- Morazzoni P, Montalbetti A, Malandrino S, Pifferi G. Comparative pharmacokinetics of silipide and silymarin in rats. Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet. 1993 Jul-Sep;18(3):289-97.
- Barzaghi N, Crema F, Gatti G, Pifferi G, Perucca E. Pharmacokinetic studies on IdB 1016, a silybin- phosphatidylcholine complex, in healthy human subjects. Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet. 1990;15(4):333-38.
- Fan S, Yu Y, Qi M, et al. P53-mediated GSH depletion enhanced the cytotoxicity of NO in silibinin-treated human cervical carcinoma HeLa cells. Free Radic Res. 2012 Sep;46(9):1082-92.
- Abenavoli L, Capasso R, Milic N, Capasso F. Milk thistle in liver diseases: past, present, future. Phytother Res. 2010 Oct;24(10):1423-32.
- Zhu HJ, Brinda BJ, Chavin KD, Bernstein HJ, Patrick KS, Markowitz JS. An assessment of pharmacokinetics and antioxidant activity of free silymarin flavonolignans in healthy volunteers: A dose escalation study. Drug Metab Dispos. 2013 Jul 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ramasamy K, Agarwal R. Multitargeted therapy of cancer by silymarin. Cancer Lett. 2008 Oct 8;269(2):352-62.
- Ravichandran K, Velmurugan B, Gu M, Singh RP, Agarwal R. Inhibitory effect of silibinin against azoxymethane-induced colon tumorigenesis in A/J mice. Clin Cancer Res. 2010 Sep 15;16(18):4595-606.
- Song Z, Deaciuc I, Song M, et al. Silymarin protects against acute ethanol-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2006 Mar;30(3):407-13.
- Kidd P Fau - Head K, Head K. A review of the bioavailability and clinical efficacy of milk thistle phytosome: a silybin-phosphatidylcholine complex (Siliphos). Altern Med Rev. 2005 Sep;10(3):193-203.
- Dolphin D. Cytochrome P450: substrate and prosthetic-group free radicals generated during the enzymatic cycle. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 1985 Dec 17;311(1152):579-91.
- Flora K, Hahn M, Rosen H, Benner K. Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) for the therapy of liver disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 1998 Feb;93(2):139-43.
- Kren V, Walterova D. Silybin and silymarin--new effects and applications. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub. 2005 Jun;149(1):29-41.
- Kidd PM. Bioavailability and activity of phytosome complexes from botanical polyphenols: the silymarin, curcumin, green tea, and grape seed extracts. Altern Med Rev. 2009;14(3):226-46.
- Dixit N, Baboota S, Kohli K, Ahmad S, Ali J. Silymarin: A review of pharmacological aspects and bioavailability enhancement approaches. Indian J Pharmacol. 2007;39(4):172-79.
- Salamone F, Galvano F, Cappello F, Mangiameli A, Barbagallo I, Li Volti G. Silibinin modulates lipid homeostasis and inhibits nuclear factor kappa B activation in experimental nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Transl Res. 2012 Jun;159(6):477-86.
- Loguercio C, Andreone P, Brisc C, et al. Silybin combined with phosphatidylcholine and vitamin E in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a randomized controlled trial. Free Radic Biol Med. 2012 May 1;52(9):1658-65.
- Kim M, Yang SG, Kim JM, Lee JW, Kim YS, Lee JI. Silymarin suppresses hepatic stellate cell activation in a dietary rat model of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis: analysis of isolated hepatic stellate cells. Int J Mol Med. 2012 Sep;30(3):473-9.
- Dunn W, Xu R, Schwimmer JB. Modest wine drinking and decreased prevalence of suspected nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology. 2008 Jun;47(6):1947-54.
- Lieber CS. Pathogenesis and treatment of alcoholic liver disease: progress over the last 50 years. Rocz Akad Med Bialymst. 2005;50:7-20.
- Feher J, Deak G, Muzes G, et al. Liver-protective action of silymarin therapy in chronic alcoholic liver diseases. Orv Hetil. 1989 Dec 17;130(51):2723-7.
- Masuoka HC, Chalasani N. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: an emerging threat to obese and diabetic individuals. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2013 Jan 30.
- Trappoliere M, Tuccillo C, Federico A, et al. The treatment of NAFLD. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2005 Sep-Oct;9(5):299-304.
- Hajiaghamohammadi AA, Ziaee A, Oveisi S, Masroor H. Effects of metformin, pioglitazone, and silymarin treatment on non-alcoholic Fatty liver disease: a randomized controlled pilot study. Hepat Mon. 2012 Aug;12(8):e6099.
- Trappoliere M, Federico A, Tuccillo C, et al. Effects of a new pharmacological complex (silybin + vitamin-E + phospholipids) on some markers of the metabolic syndrome and of liver fibrosis in patients with hepatic steatosis. Preliminary study. Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol. 2005 Jun;51(2):193-9.
- Aghazadeh S, Amini R, Yazdanparast R, Ghaffari SH. Anti-apoptotic and anti-inflammatory effects of Silybum marianum in treatment of experimental steatohepatitis. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2011 Sep;63(6):569-74.
- Salamone F, Galvano F, Marino Gammazza A, et al. Silibinin improves hepatic and myocardial injury in mice with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Dig Liver Dis. 2012 Apr;44(4):334-42.
- Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/. Accessed July 18, 2013.
- Magliulo E, Gagliardi B, Fiori GP. Results of a double blind study on the effect of silymarin in the treatment of acute viral hepatitis, carried out at two medical centres (author’s transl). Med Klin. 1978 Jul 14;73(28-29):1060-5.
- Buzzelli G, Moscarella S, Giusti A, Duchini A, Marena C, Lampertico M. A pilot study on the liver protective effect of silybin-phosphatidylcholine complex (IdB1016) in chronic active hepatitis. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol. 1993 Sep;31(9):456-60.
- Ferenci P, Scherzer TM, Kerschner H, et al. Silibinin is a potent antiviral agent in patients with chronic hepatitis C not responding to pegylated interferon/ribavirin therapy. Gastroenterology. 2008 Nov;135(5):1561-7.
- El-Kamary SS, Shardell MD, Abdel-Hamid M, et al. A randomized controlled trial to assess the safety and efficacy of silymarin on symptoms, signs and biomarkers of acute hepatitis. Phytomedicine. 2009 May;16(5):391-400.
- Available at: http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/cirrhosis-liver. Accessed July 18, 2013.
- Benda L, Dittrich H, Ferenzi P, Frank H, Wewalka F. The influence of therapy with silymarin on the survival rate of patients with liver cirrhosis (author’s transl). Wien Klin Wochenschr. 1980 Oct 10;92(19):678-83.
- Ferenci P, Dragosics B, Dittrich H, et al. Randomized controlled trial of silymarin treatment in patients with cirrhosis of the liver.J Hepatol. 1989 Jul;9(1):105-13.
- Lang I, Nekam K, Deak G, et al. Immunomodulatory and hepatoprotective effects of in vivo treatment with free radical scavengers. Ital J Gastroenterol. 1990 Oct;22(5):283-7.
- Available at: http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/7/2/150.pdf. Accessed July 18, 2013.
- Takahashi Y, Fukusato T, Inui A, Fujisawa T. Pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease/nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Nihon Rinsho. 2012 Oct;70(10):1827-34.
- Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/alcohol.htm. Accessed July 18, 2013.
- Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/liverdis.htm. Accessed March 6, 2013.
- Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/hepatits.htm. Accessed July 18, 2013.
- Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hcv/hcvfaq.htm. Accessed July 18, 2013.