Safely Manage Autoimmune DiseasesMarch 2014
By Kathy White
Autoimmune diseases produce their tragic effects as a result of the body’s attacking itself with antibodies that destroy perfectly healthy tissue.51 These auto-antibodies are the result of an unbalanced immune system, in which normal regulatory cells fail to rein in the actions of inflammatory cells.45
Mainstream medicine fights autoimmune disease on only a single front, by aiming to lower inflammation at all costs. Rather than restoring the balance, this approach simply tips it in the opposite direction, leaving victims vulnerable to life-threatening infections and increasing cancer risks.1,2
Peony glucosides , on the other hand, have a gentle and unique dual-acting mechanism. The supplement restores normal immune system regulation both by raising levels of normal inflammation-suppressing cells, and by directly reducing actions of pro-inflammatory cells.4,5 As a result, the disordered immune system is brought back into its natural balance, and the excessive inflammation subsides.
Peony glucosides work well in combination with mainstream medicine’s arsenal, helping to reduce the amount of dangerous drugs needed to keep the disease at bay and boosting their effectiveness.34
Peony glucosides have now been successfully tested in people with rheumatoid arthritis, with lupus, with Sjogren’s syndrome, and psoriasis.5,26-28,32-34,48 The supplement has been demonstrated to speed the onset of remissions, reduce the rate of flares, and lower the severity of the disease symptoms.5, 26-28,32-34,48
Given the dual and fundamental actions of peony glucosides, there is every reason to believe they will be effective in fighting many of the other autoimmune diseases, including inflammatory bowel disease, thyroid disorders, and many others.
If you have any questions on the scientific content of this article, please call a Life Extension® Wellness Specialist at 1-866-864-3027.
- Available at: http://autoimmune.pathology.jhmi.edu/faqs.cfm. Accessed November 26, 2013.
- Kouklakis G, Efremidou EI, Pitiakoudis M, Liratzopoulos N, Polychronidis A. Development of primary malignant melanoma during treatment with a TNF-alpha antagonist for severe Crohn’s disease: a case report and review of the hypothetical association between TNF-alpha blockers and cancer. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2013;7:195-9.
- Raaschou P, Simard JF, Holmqvist M, Askling J. Rheumatoid arthritis, anti-tumour necrosis factor therapy, and risk of malignant melanoma: nationwide population based prospective cohort study from Sweden. Bmj. 2013;346:f1939.
- He DY, Dai SM. Anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects of Paeonia lactiflora pall., a traditional chinese herbal medicine. Front Pharmacol. 2011;2:10.
- Wang YN, Zhang Y, Wang Y, et al. The beneficial effect of Total Glucosides of Paeony on psoriatic arthritis links to circulating Tregs and Th1 cell function. Phytother Res. 2013 Apr 23.
- Available at: http://www.altmd.com/Articles/White-Peony-Root--Encyclopedia-of-Alternative-Medi. Accessed December 19, 2013.
- Available at: http://www.irjponline.com/admin/php/uploads/977_pdf.pdf. Accessed December 19, 2013.
- Yang J, Wang J, Feng P, Li Y, Ma C, Xu S. Protective effect of total paeony glycoside against cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury in mice. Zhong Yao Cai. 2000 Feb;23(2):95-7.
- Chang Y, Wei W, Zhang L, Xu HM. Effects and mechanisms of total glucosides of paeony on synoviocytes activities in rat collagen-induced arthritis. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009 Jan 12;121(1):43-8.
- Wu Y, Ren K, Liang C, et al. Renoprotective effect of total glucosides of paeony (TGP) and its mechanism in experimental diabetes. J Pharmacol Sci. 2009 Jan;109(1):78-87.
- Liu GL, Li YC, Shen YJ. Inhibitory effect of total glucosides of paeonia on the NF-kappaB/p65 protein expression in paws of RA rats. Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2010 Nov;26(11):1082-4.
- Tang NY, Liu CH, Hsieh CT, Hsieh CL. The anti-inflammatory effect of paeoniflorin on cerebral infarction induced by ischemia-reperfusion injury in Sprague-Dawley rats. Am J Chin Med. 2010;38(1):51-64.
- Chang Y, Zhang L, Wang C, Jia XY, Wei W. Paeoniflorin inhibits function of synoviocytes pretreated by rIL-1alpha and regulates EP4 receptor expression. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Oct 11;137(3):1275-82.
- Huang D, Liu M, Yan X. Effects of total glucosides of peony on expression of inflammatory cytokines and phosphorylated MAPK signal molecules in hippocampus induced by fibrillar Abeta42. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2011 Mar;36(6):795-800.
- Li J, Chen CX, Shen YH. Effects of total glucosides from paeony (Paeonia lactiflora Pall) roots on experimental atherosclerosis in rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 May 17;135(2):469-75.
- Wu H, Wei W, Song L, Zhang L, Chen Y, Hu X. Paeoniflorin induced immune tolerance of mesenteric lymph node lymphocytes via enhancing beta 2-adrenergic receptor desensitization in rats with adjuvant arthritis. Int Immunopharmacol. 2007 May;7(5):662-73.
- Chen JY, Wu HX, Chen Y, et al. Paeoniflorin inhibits proliferation of fibroblast-like synoviocytes through suppressing G-protein-coupled receptor kinase 2. Planta medica. May 2012;78(7):665-71.
- Zhang W, Dai SM. Mechanisms involved in the therapeutic effects of Paeonia lactiflora Pallas in rheumatoid arthritis. International immunopharmacology. Sep 2012;14(1):27-31.
- Zhou Z, Lin J, Huo R, et al. Total glucosides of paeony attenuated functional maturation of dendritic cells via blocking TLR4/5 signaling in vivo. Int Immunopharmacol. 2012 Nov;14(3):275-82.
- Zhu L, Wei W, Zheng YQ. Effect and mechanism of action of total glucosides of paeony on synoviocytes from rats with collagen-induced arthritis. Yao Xue Xue Bao. 2006 Feb;41(2):166-70.
- Available at: http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/diseases_and_conditions/ra.asp. Accessed November 26, 2013.
- Lin J, Xiao L, Ouyang G, et al. Total glucosides of paeony inhibits Th1/Th17 cells via decreasing dendritic cells activation in rheumatoid arthritis. Cell Immunol. 2012 Dec;280(2):156-63.
- Xu HM, Wei W, Jia XY, Chang Y, Zhang L. Effects and mechanisms of total glucosides of paeony on adjuvant arthritis in rats.J Ethnopharmacol. 2007 Feb 12;109(3):442-8.
- Wang QT, Zhang LL, Wu HX, Wei W. The expression change of beta-arrestins in fibroblast-like synoviocytes from rats with collagen-induced arthritis and the effect of total glucosides of paeony.J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Jan 27;133(2):511-6.
- Deng H, Yan C, Xiao T, Yuan D, Xu J. Total glucosides of Paeonia lactiflora Pall inhibit vascular endothelial growth factor-induced angiogenesis. J Ethnopharmacol. 2010 Feb 17;127(3):781-5.
- Du JH, Dong BD. Comparative study on clinical efficacy of using methotrexate singly or combined with total glucosides of Paeony in treating rheumatoid arthritis. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 2005 Jun;25(6):540-2.
- Zhao YX, Liu Y. Clinical observation on effects of leflunomid and total glucosides of paeony on rheumatoid arthritis. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 2006 Apr;26(4):355-7.
- Wang Y, Xing HY. Clinical observation on effect of total glucosides of paeony combined with methotrexate on rheumatoid arthritis. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 2007 Sep;27(9):839-40.
- Chen Z, Li XP, Li ZJ, Xu L, Li XM. Reduced hepatotoxicity by total glucosides of paeony in combination treatment with leflunomide and methotrexate for patients with active rheumatoid arthritis. Int Immunopharmacol. 2013 Mar;15(3):474-7.
- Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lupus/DS00115. Accessed November 27, 2013.
- Available at: http://report.nih.gov/nihfactsheets/ViewFactSheet.aspx?csid=47. Accessed November 27, 2013.
- Zhang HF, Xiao WG, Hou P. Clinical study of total glucosides of paeony in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 2011 Apr;31(4):476-9.
- Li Z, Liu Y, Chen L, Fan X, Yang K. Clinical observation of Total Glucosides of Paeony to patients of complicated leukopenia with systemic lupus erythematosus. China Pharmaceuticals.
- Shui Z, Xu J, X L, Wei W, Xu S, Xu S. Clinical study on effect of Total Glucosides of Peony in treating systemic lupus erythematosus as adjuvant treatment. Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine. 2003;3.
- Leflunomid combined with total glucosides of paeony to treat 28 patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Journal of Xinxiang Medical College. 2007;24:295-8.
- Liang X. The effect of Total glucosides of peony on IL-8, TNF-a and INF-a in systemic lupus erythematosus. Chinese Journal of Modern Drug Application. 2008;2:64-66.
- Zhao M, Liang GP, Tang MN, et al. Total glucosides of paeony induces regulatory CD4(+)CD25(+) T cells by increasing Foxp3 demethylation in lupus CD4(+) T cells. Clin Immunol. 2012 May;143(2):180-7.
- Zhao M, Liang G, Luo S, Lu Q. Effect of total glucosides of peony on expression and DNA methylation status of ITGAL gene in CD4(+) T cells of systemic lupus erythematosus. Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2012 May;37(5):463-8.
- Ding ZX, Yang SF, Wu QF, et al. Therapeutic effect of total glucosides of paeony on lupus nephritis in MRL/lpr mice. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2011 Apr;31(4):656-60.
- Kurizky PS, Mota LM. Sexual dysfunction in patients with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis--a systematic review. Rev Bras Reumatol. 2012 Dec;52(6):943-8.
- Yuying W, Xiaoli X, Jianwen L. Influence of total glucosides of paeony on TNF2αand IL28 in patients with psoriasis vulgaris stationary phase. Modern Journal of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine. 2009 June;18(18).
- Fox PC. Autoimmune diseases and Sjogren’s syndrome: an autoimmune exocrinopathy. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007 Mar;1098:15-21.
- Mostafa S, Seamon V, Azzarolo AM. Influence of sex hormones and genetic predisposition in Sjogren’s syndrome: a new clue to the immunopathogenesis of dry eye disease. Exp Eye Res. 2012 Mar;96(1):88-97.
- Jin JO, Yu Q. T Cell-Associated cytokines in the pathogenesis of Sjogren’s syndrome. J Clin Cell Immunol. 2013 Feb 26;S!(9).
- Breda L, Nozzi M, De Sanctis S, Chiarelli F. Laboratory tests in the diagnosis and follow-up of pediatric rheumatic diseases: an update. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2010 Aug;40(1):53-72.
- Theander E, Andersson SI, Manthorpe R, Jacobsson LT. Proposed core set of outcome measures in patients with primary Sjogren’s syndrome: 5 year follow up. J Rheumatol. 2005 Aug;32(8):1495-502.
- Li CL, He J, Li ZG, Zheng LW, Hua H. Effects of total glucosides of paeony for delaying onset of Sjogren’s syndrome: An animal study. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2013 Jan 18.
- Zhang HF, Hou P, Xiao WG. Clinical observation on effect of total glucosides of paeony in treating patients with non-systemic involved Sjogren syndrome. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 2007 Jul;27(7):596-8.
- Jing L. Clinical application of therapy of total glucosides of paeony (TGP) to Sjogren’s syndrome. China Journal of Modern Medicine. 2006;16:78-80.
- Li XM, et al. Effectiveness and safety of total glucosides of peony in the treatment of patients with Sjogren syndrome. Anhui Medical Journal. 2006;5:370-1.
- Available at: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000816.htm. Accessed December 10, 2013.
- Available at: http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/materials/autoimmune_diseases_508.pdf. Accessed December 10, 2013.
- Available at: http://autoimmune.pathology.jhmi.edu/adrp.pdf. Accessed December 10, 2103.
- Dejaco C, Duftner C, Grubeck-Loebenstein B, Schirmer M. Imbalance of regulatory T cells in human autoimmune diseases. Immunology. 2006 Mar;117(3):289-300.
- Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK6453/. Accessed December 10, 2013.
- Available at: http://www.niams.nih.gov/HEALTH_INFO/Autoimmune/default.asp. Accessed December 10, 2013.
- Abolmaali SS, Tamaddon AM, Dinarvand R. A review of therapeutic challenges and achievements of methotrexate delivery systems for treatment of cancer and rheumatoid arthritis. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2013 May;71(5):1115-30.
- Miller AV, Ranatunga SK. Immunotherapies in rheumatologic disorders. Med Clin North Am. 2012 May;96(3):475-96, ix-x.
- Rosman Z, Shoenfeld Y, Zandman-Goddard G. Biologic therapy for autoimmune diseases: an update. BMC Med. 2013 Apr 4;11:88.
- Perez-Alvarez R, Pérez-de-Lis M, Ramos-Casals M; BIOGEAS study group. Biologics-induced autoimmune diseases. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2013 Jan;25(1):56-64.
- Zhang M, Huang S, Chen M. Immunomodulatory effect of Total Glucosides of Paeony on the patients with endogenous uveitis. 1994.
- Shen Y-x, LI X-h. Study of efect of total peony glucosides on hypergammaglobulinemia in undiferentiated connective tissue disease. Chin J Rheumatol. 2005;9(1).
- Available at: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/connective-tissue-diseases/hic_mixed_connective_tissue_disease.aspx. Accessed December 10, 2013.
- Long JW, Wang YY, Pi XM, Tu YT. Clinical observation on the treatment of chronic urticaria with total glucosides of paeony capsule combined with citirizine. Chin J Integr Med. 2010 Aug;16(4):353-6.
- Yang DQ, You LP, Song PH, Zhang LX, Bai YP. A randomized controlled trial comparing total glucosides of paeony capsule and compound glycyrrhizin tablet for alopecia areata. Chin J Integr Med. 2012 Aug;18(8):621-5.