BRIEF: Nutrition quiz
The Sacramento Bee, Calif.
Aug. 24--Diabetes affects millions of Americans and is growing at epidemic rates. There is some good news, however. According to the American Diabetes Association, by making some lifestyle changes, many people can delay or prevent Type 2 diabetes. Here's a quiz to find out if you are doing a good job when it comes to preventing Type 2 diabetes.
Answer true or false to each of the following statements.
1. Reducing your body weight by 5 percent to 10 percent can produce a 58 percent reduction in diabetes.
2. Just 30 minutes a day of moderate physical activity can significantly reduce Type 2 diabetes symptoms.
3. A healthy diet for Type 2 diabetics is basically just an overall healthy diet.
4. Diabetes is more common in African Americans, Latinos, American Indians, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.
5. An unexplained or unusual weight loss is a symptom of diabetes.
6. Products listed as low fat are always good choices for a diabetic.
7. Nearly all adults with Type 2 diabetes are overweight, and more than half are obese.
Source: National Diabetes Education Program
Answers: 1) True; 2) True; 3) True; 4) True; 5) True; 6) False. They are often high in sugar or sodium. 7) True
To see more of The Sacramento Bee, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.sacbee.com/.
Copyright (c) 2008, The Sacramento Bee, Calif.
Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.
For reprints, email email@example.com, call 800-374-7985 or 847-635-6550, send a fax to 847-635-6968, or write to The Permissions Group Inc., 1247 Milwaukee Ave., Suite 303, Glenview, IL 60025, USA.