Life Extension Suggestions
For optimal results, the majority of these supplements or dietary changes should be introduced before starting radiation treatment. Refer to the text for a more detailed explanation of the dose and duration of the specific supplements.
- R-lipoic acid: 300 mg daily
- Coenzyme Q10: 100 – 400 mg daily
- Curcumin: up to 3.2 g daily
- Panax ginseng (Siberian): 200 – 1000 mg daily
- Green tea extract: 725 mg three times daily
- Proteolytic enzymes: papain (100 mg), trypsin (40 mg), and chymotrypsin (40 mg): three days before radiation therapy and continuing until five days after completion of treatment
- Kamillosan: 10 drops in 1 ounce of water, three times daily (http://www.smallflower.com/).
- L-arginine: 900 mg daily
- L-glutamine: 20 – 40 g administered before starting radiation therapy
- Melatonin: up to 20 mg daily
- Multivitamin/multimineral supplement (without copper)
- N-acetylcysteine: 200 – 600 mg daily
- Omega-3 fatty acids: 1 – 2 g daily
- Probiotics: 2x109 Lactobacillus acidophilus daily
- Pure honey: Rinse mouth with 20 ml, 15 minutes before, 15 minutes after, and 6 hours after radiotherapy; after rinsing, slowly swallow the honey to coat the throat
- Selenium: 200 – 1000 mcg daily
- Silymarin: 150 – 600 mg daily
- Soy extract (containing 50 mg of isoflavones): twice daily
- Sulforaphane: 400 – 1600 mg daily of a broccoli extract
- Taurine: 1000 mg daily
- Vitamin A: 8000 – 30 000 IU daily
- Vitamin C: 500 mg three times daily
- Vitamin E: 400 – 1200 IU daily
- Whey protein isolate: 20 g daily.
Blood Test Availability
Cancer cell markers (tumor antigen profile) can be determined via Genzyme Genetics (http://www.genzymeimpath.com/lymphoma_leukemia.html) and may be ordered by a physician by telephoning 1-800-966-4440.
Tests for angiogenesis markers (e.g., VEGF) are available at UCLA’s Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (http://www.cancer.mednet.ucla.edu/).
Hemoglobin levels (part of a Chemistry Panel/Complete Blood Count) may be tested via Life Extension/National Diagnostics, Inc. and may be ordered by telephoning 1-800-544-4440 or by ordering online at http://www.lifeextension.com/bloodtest/.
Disclaimer and Safety Information
This information (and any accompanying material) is not intended to replace the attention or advice of a physician or other qualified health care professional. Anyone who wishes to embark on any dietary, drug, exercise, or other lifestyle change intended to prevent or treat a specific disease or condition should first consult with and seek clearance from a physician or other qualified health care professional. Pregnant women in particular should seek the advice of a physician before using any protocol listed on this website. The protocols described on this website are for adults only, unless otherwise specified. Product labels may contain important safety information and the most recent product information provided by the product manufacturers should be carefully reviewed prior to use to verify the dose, administration, and contraindications. National, state, and local laws may vary regarding the use and application of many of the treatments discussed. The reader assumes the risk of any injuries. The authors and publishers, their affiliates and assigns are not liable for any injury and/or damage to persons arising from this protocol and expressly disclaim responsibility for any adverse effects resulting from the use of the information contained herein.
The protocols raise many issues that are subject to change as new data emerge. None of our suggested protocol regimens can guarantee health benefits. The publisher has not performed independent verification of the data contained herein, and expressly disclaim responsibility for any error in literature.