300 mg, 60 vegetarian capsules
Retail Price: $33.00
Super Sale Price:
Your favorite Life Extension® products can be delivered to you automatically. Just look for the “AutoShip” button. Select AutoShip, and choose your preferred ship-out date. It's that easy!
Your brain is under constant onslaught from environmental and stress-related challenges, as well as normal aging processes.1,2 Fortunately, our brain cells have built-in, self-healing systems that provide natural defenses against these ongoing threats.3 Even more remarkable, molecular science is revealing that the human brain has the capacity to preserve the neurons involved in brain remodeling (plasticity).3
Scientists in China and Singapore have found that gastrodin, a compound typically derived from a traditional Chinese orchid (Gastrodia elata), provides powerful support for the brain's normal defenses and regenerative mechanisms.4-7 To make these benefits available to members, Life Extension® introduces Brain Shield®, providing 300 mg of gastrodin in each capsule for maximum brain support.
Recent studies confirm that the gastrodin in Brain Shield® is one of the most powerful compounds for supporting healthy brain function at any age. Gastrodin works by the following mechanisms:
Those seeking maximum benefit should start with one 300 mg capsule of Brain Shield® taken twice daily.16 After thirty days, one Brain Shield® (gastrodin) capsule daily may be sufficient based upon the experience of gastrodin as an over-the-counter (OTC) pharmaceutical agent. Those taking Cognitex® are obtaining 50 mg of gastrodin in the daily dose along with complimentary nutrients. As additional research continues on gastrodin, better clarification on optimal dosing for a wide range of neurovascular and neuroinflammatory conditions should be available.
1. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/neurotoxicity/neurotoxicity.htm . Accessed August 16, 2013.
2. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009 May;1792(5):432-43.
3. Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2013 Mar;15(1):67-76.
4. Neurochem Int. 2012 Jun;60(8):827-36.
5. Int J Biochem Mol Biol. 2012;3(2):219-41.
6. J Pharm Pharmacol. 1997 Nov;49(11):1162-4.
7. J Tradit Chin Med. 1997 Dec;17(4):299-303
8. Neurobiol Aging. 2012 May;33(5):1004.e1-16.
9. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2004 Nov; 9(11): 1061-5.
10. Brain Res. 2007 Nov 21;1181:130-41.
11. J Neurosci Res. 2003 Feb 15;71(4):534-43.
12. J Ethnopharmacol. 1997 Mar;56(1):45-54.
13. Biol Pharm Bull. 2006 Feb;29(2):261-5.
14. China Prac Med. 2010 Aug;5(23):160-1.
15. Yao Xue Xue Bao. 2011 Dec;46(12):1451-6.
16. J Tianjin Pharmacy. 2005-06.
|Dosage and Use|
Product reviews are provided for informational purposes only and reflect solely the views and opinions expressed by the contributors and not those of Life Extension. We do not verify or endorse any claims made in these reviews. Please read the full product reviews disclaimer.