500/250 mg 90 tablets: Nature's Plus
Retail Price: $21.95
Your Price: $16.46 Save 25%
Your favorite Life Extension® products can be delivered to you automatically. Just look for the “AutoShip” button. Select AutoShip, and choose your preferred ship-out date. It's that easy!
Long known for its part in building and maintaining strong bones and teeth, calcium has other major functions as well. Magnesium and calcium work together to assist in promoting sound skeletal and cardiovascular systems. The Biotron process of amino acid chelation optimizes absorption.
Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body and is primarily found in the bones and teeth. In bone formation, calcium forms crystals that provide strength to maturing bone. Peak bone mass is usually achieved when people are in their twenties.
Calcium is needed for more than just healthy bones. It is also important for muscle contraction, blood vessel contraction and expansion, the secretion of hormones and enzymes, and sending messages through the nervous system. A meta-analysis of 56 clinical trials demonstrated a significant impact on heart health resulting from increasing calcium intake by 1,000 to 2,000 mg/day.1 In addition, recent evidence suggests that increased intake of calcium may help to maintain optimal weight.2-5
Calcium is an essential mineral that is often inadequately supplied, inefficiently absorbed, or excreted faster than it is being assimilated.6
Magnesium is one of the body’s most important minerals. It is required as a cofactor in hundreds of enzymatic processes within cells.7 It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, promotes a healthy cardiovascular function, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Magnesium also helps maintain blood sugar and blood pressure levels already within normal range, and it is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis.8,9
Magnesium is a major factor in relaxing the smooth muscles within the blood vessels, thereby reducing peripheral vascular resistance and promoting a healthy cardiovascular system.10-12 Magnesium also affects circulating levels of norepinephrine and the synthesis of serotonin and nitric oxide.7,13-15
Magnesium positively influences the bone mineral matrix and its ability to metabolize minerals needed for repair and rebuilding.16,17 The scientific literature documents the need for a wide range of minerals, including calcium and magnesium, that are vital to maintaining strong, healthy bones.
Magnesium is one of the body’s most important minerals. Many Americans do not obtain adequate amounts of magnesium in their diets.18 The long-term, magnesium-supplemented diet helps maintain normal blood pressure levels already within normal range.19,20 Moreover, there is strong evidence that dietary magnesium intake and supplementation improve metabolic profile.21
1. JAMA. 1996 Apr 3;275(13):1016-22.
2. FASEB J. 2000 Jun;14(9):1132-8.
3. J Am Coll Nutr. 2000 Nov-Dec;19(6):754-60.
4. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Apr;25(4):559-66.
5. FASEB J. 2001 Feb;15(2):291-3.
6. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Aug;80(2):264-70.
7. J Bone Miner Res. 1998 Apr;13(4):749-58.
8. Am J Clin Nutr 1987;45:1305-12.
9. Clinica Chimica Acta 2000;294:1-26.
10. Ann Pharmacother. 2002 Feb;36(2):255-60.
11. Br J Sports Med. 2006 Sep;40(9):773-8.
12. Congest Heart Fail. 2006 Jan-Feb;12(1):9-13
13. Clin Neurosci. 1998;5(1):24-7.
14. Angiology. 1994 Jul;45(7):637-45.
15. Magnes Res. 2006 Jun;19(2):113-22.
16. Nutr Rev. 1995 Sep;53(9 Pt 2):S23-S27.
17. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998 Aug;83(8):2742-8.
18. J Nutr. 2003 Sep;133(9):2879-82.
19. J Hypertens. 2008 Jan;26(1):44-52.
20. Magnes Res. 2007 Sep;20(3):196-9.
21. Magnes Res. 2007 Jun;20(2):107-29.
†Manufactured with the Biotron Process of amino acid chelation.
|Dosage and Use|
Product reviews are provided for informational purposes only and reflect solely the views and opinions expressed by the contributors and not those of Life Extension. We do not verify or endorse any claims made in these reviews. Please read the full product reviews disclaimer.