2013 Keystone Diabetes SymposiumOctober 2013
By Ben Best
Binge Drinking and Type II Diabetes
Christoph Buettner, MD, PhD (Director, Laboratory for Metabolism and Diabetes, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York City, New York) was inspired by human epidemiological evidence that binge drinking leads to chronic insulin resistance or diabetes55-57 to investigate the molecular mechanisms in rats. He found that ethanol dosing in rats that simulates human binge drinking is toxic to the hypothalamus, and thereby induces insulin resistance. 58 Short-term insulin resistance lasts for days after all the ethanol has been metabolized.58 Dr. Buettner is concerned that binge drinking continues to increase among college students.59 Adolescents are particularly vulnerable to brain damage from binge drinking. 60
I had made it a priority to attempt to gain from this conference an understanding of the mechanism by which insulin resistance is induced. I was surprised that opinions on this subject could be so different, but I believe that some of the reason for the divergence of views is that there is more than one mechanism involved. In particular, I think that in some cases inflammation can induce insulin resistance, whereas in other cases fat directly impedes cell signaling between the insulin receptor and the glucose transporter.
If you have any questions on the scientific content of this article, please call a Life Extension® Health Advisor at 1-866-864-3027.
- Flegal KM. Epidemiologic aspects of overweight and obesity in the United States. Physiol Behav. 2005 Dec 15;86(5):599-602.
- Gupta N, Goel K, Shah P, Misra A. Childhood obesity in developing countries: epidemiology, determinants, and prevention. Endocr Rev. 2012 Feb;33(1):48-70.
- Chen L, Magliano DJ, Zimmet PZ. The worldwide epidemiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus--present and future perspectives. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2011 Nov 8;8(4):228-36.
- McNamara DB, Murthy SN, Fonseca AN, Desouza CV, Kadowitz PJ, Fonseca VA. Animal models of catheter-induced intimal hyperplasia in type 1 and type 2 diabetes and the effects of pharmacologic intervention. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2009 Jan;87(1):37-50.
- Cnop M, Welsh N, Jonas JC, Jörns A, Lenzen S, Eizirik DL. Mechanisms of pancreatic beta-cell death in type 1 and type 2 diabetes: many differences, few similarities. Diabetes. 2005 Dec;54 Suppl 2:S97-107.
- Quan W, Lim YM, Lee MS. Role of autophagy in diabetes and endoplasmic reticulum stress of pancreatic β-cells. Exp Mol Med. 2012 Feb 29;44(2):81-8.
- Stanhope KL. Role of fructose-containing sugars in the epidemics of obesity and metabolic syndrome. Annu Rev Med. 2012;63:329-43.
- Tappy L, Lê KA, Tran C, Paquot N. Fructose and metabolic diseases: new findings, new questions. Nutrition. 2010 Nov-Dec;26(11-12):1044-9.
- Samuel VT, Shulman GI. Mechanisms for insulin resistance: common threads and missing links. Cell. 2012 Mar 2;148(5):852-71.
- Shulman GI. Cellular mechanisms of insulin resistance. J Clin Invest. 2000 Jul;106(2):171-6.
- Rabøl R, Petersen KF, Dufour S, Flannery C, Shulman GI. Reversal of muscle insulin resistance with exercise reduces postprandial hepatic de novo lipogenesis in insulin resistant individuals. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Aug 16;108(33):13705-9.
- Petersen KF, Dufour S, Morino K, Yoo PS, Cline GW, Shulman GI. Reversal of muscle insulin resistance by weight reduction in young, lean, insulin-resistant offspring of parents with type 2 diabetes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 May 22;109(21):8236-40.
- Petersen KF, Befroy D, Dufour S, et al. Mitochondrial dysfunction in the elderly: possible role in insulin resistance. Science. 2003 May 16;300(5622):1140-2.
- Befroy DE, Petersen KF, Dufour S, et al. Impaired mitochondrial substrate oxidation in muscle of insulin-resistant offspring of type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes. 2007 May;56(5):1376-81.
- Petersen KF, Dufour S, Savage DB, et al. The role of skeletal muscle insulin resistance in the pathogenesis of the metabolic syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Jul 31;104(31):12587-94.
- Tonstad S. Cigarette smoking, smoking cessation, and diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2009 Jul;85(1):4-13.
- Chiolero A, Faeh D, Paccaud F, Cornuz J. Consequences of smoking for body weight, body fat distribution, and insulin resistance. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Apr;87(4):801-9.
- Chiang SH, Bazuine M, Lumeng CN, et al. The protein kinase IKKepsilon regulates energy balance in obese mice. Cell. 2009 Sep 4;138(5):961-75.
- Reilly SM, Chiang SH, Decker SJ, et al. An inhibitor of the protein kinases TBK1 and IKK-ɛ improves obesity-related metabolic dysfunctions in mice. Nat Med. 2013 Mar;19(3):313-21.
- Cinti S, Mitchell G, Barbatelli G, et al. Adipocyte death defines macrophage localization and function in adipose tissue of obese mice and humans. J Lipid Res. 2005 Nov;46(11):2347-55.
- Weisberg SP, McCann D, Desai M, Rosenbaum M, Leibel RL, Ferrante AW Jr. Obesity is associated with macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue . J Clin Invest. 2003 Dec;112(12):1796-808.
- Xu H, Barnes GT, Yang Q, et al. Chronic inflammation in fat plays a crucial role in the development of obesity-related insulin resistance. J Clin Invest. 2003 Dec;112(12):1821-30.
- Shapiro H, Pecht T, Shaco-Levy R, et al. Adipose tissue foam cells are present in human obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Mar;98(3):1173-81.
- Bradford PG. Curcumin and obesity. Biofactors. 2013 Jan;39(1):78-87.
- Ho SC, Chang KS, Chang PW. Inhibition of neuroinflammation by cinnamon and its main components. Food Chem. 2013 Jun 15;138(4):2275-82.
- Gharagozloo M, Velardi E, Bruscoli S, et al. Silymarin suppress CD4+ T cell activation and proliferation: effects on NF-kappaB activity and IL-2 production. Pharmacol Res. 2010 May;61(5):405-9.
- Yamasaki M, Mine Y, Nishimura M, et al. Genistein induces apoptotic cell death associated with inhibition of the NF-κB pathway in adult T-cell leukemia cells. Cell Biol Int. 2013 Mar 22.
- Ralhan R, Pandey MK, Aggarwal BB. Nuclear factor-kappa B links carcinogenic and chemopreventive agents. Front Biosci (Schol Ed). 2009 Jun 1;1:45-60.
- Wahrenberg H, Lönnqvist F, Arner P. Mechanisms underlying regional differences in lipolysis in human adipose tissue. J Clin Invest. 1989 Aug;84(2):458-67.
- Van Pelt RE, Jankowski CM, Gozansky WS, Schwartz RS, Kohrt WM. Lower-body adiposity and metabolic protection in postmenopausal women . J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Aug;90(8):4573-8.
- Garaulet M, Pérez-Llamas F, Baraza JC, Garcia-Prieto MD, Fardy PS, Tébar FJ, Zamora S. Body fat distribution in pre-and post-menopausal women: metabolic and anthropometric variables. J Nutr Health Aging. 2002;6(2):123-6.
- Eckel-Mahan K, Sassone-Corsi P. Metabolism and the circadian clock converge. Physiol Rev. 2013 Jan;93(1):107-35.
- Marcheva B, Ramsey KM, Buhr ED, et al. Disruption of the clock components CLOCK and BMAL1 leads to hypoinsulinaemia and diabetes. Nature. 2010 Jul 29;466(7306):627-31.
- Fonken LK, Workman JL, Walton JC, et al. Light at night increases body mass by shifting the time of food intake. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Oct 26;107(43):18664-9.
- Almind K, Kahn CR. Genetic determinants of energy expenditure and insulin resistance in diet-induced obesity in mice. Diabetes. 2004 Dec;53(12):3274-85.
- Almind K, Manieri M, Sivitz WI, Cinti S, Kahn CR. Ectopic brown adipose tissue in muscle provides a mechanism for differences in risk of metabolic syndrome in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Feb 13;104(7):2366-71.
- Mori MA, Liu M, Bezy O, et al. A systems biology approach identifies inflammatory abnormalities between mouse strains prior to development of metabolic disease. Diabetes. 2010 Nov;59(11):2960-71.
- Burcelin R, Serino M, Chabo C, Blasco-Baque V, Amar J. Gut microbiota and diabetes: from pathogenesis to therapeutic perspective. Acta Diabetol. 2011 Dec;48(4):257-73.
- Sarruf DA, Thaler JP, Morton GJ, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 21 action in the brain increases energy expenditure and insulin sensitivity in obese rats. Diabetes. 2010 Jul;59(7):1817-24.
- Zhang Y, Xie Y, Berglund ED, et al. The starvation hormone, fibroblast growth factor-21, extends lifespan in mice. Elife. 2012;1:e00065.
- Bartke A, Brown-Borg H. Life extension in the dwarf mouse. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2004;63:189-225.
- Wu D, Ren Z, Pae M, et al. Aging up-regulates expression of inflammatory mediators in mouse adipose tissue. J Immunol. 2007 Oct 1;179(7):4829-39.
- Wende AR, Abel ED. Lipotoxicity in the heart. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010 Mar;1801(3):311-9.
- de Vries JE, Vork MM, Roemen TH, et al. Saturated but not mono-unsaturated fatty acids induce apoptotic cell death in neonatal rat ventricular myocytes. J Lipid Res. 1997 Jul;38(7):1384-94.
- Leitão CB, Bernetti K, Tharavanij T, et al. Lipotoxicity and decreased islet graft survival. Diabetes Care. 2010 Mar;33(3):658-60.
- Solinas G, Naugler W, Galimi F, Lee MS, Karin M. Saturated fatty acids inhibit induction of insulin gene transcription by JNK-mediated phosphorylation of insulin-receptor substrates. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Oct 31;103(44):16454-9.
- Guo W, Pirtskhalava T, Tchkonia T, et al. Aging results in paradoxical susceptibility of fat cell progenitors to lipotoxicity. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Apr;292(4):E1041-51.
- Assimacopoulos-Jeannet F. Fat storage in pancreas and in insulin-sensitive tissues in pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004 Dec;28 Suppl 4:S53-7.
- Alkhouri N, Dixon LJ, Feldstein AE. Lipotoxicity in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: not all lipids are created equal. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009 Aug;3(4):445-51.
- Listenberger LL, Ory DS, Schaffer JE. Palmitate-induced apoptosis can occur through a ceramide-independent pathway. J Biol Chem. 2001 May 4;276(18):14890-5.
- Chavez JA, Knotts TA, Wang LP, Li G, Dobrowsky RT, Florant GL, Summers SA. A role for ceramide, but not diacylglycerol, in the antagonism of insulin signal transduction by saturated fatty acids. J Biol Chem. 2003 Mar 21;278(12):10297-303.
- Tchkonia T, Morbeck DE, Von Zglinicki T, et al. Fat tissue, aging, and cellular senescence. Aging Cell. 2010 Oct;9(5):667-84.
- Lumeng CN, Liu J, Geletka L, et al. Aging is associated with an increase in T cells and inflammatory macrophages in visceral adipose tissue. J Immunol. 2011 Dec 15;187(12):6208-16.
- Baker DJ, Wijshake T, Tchkonia T, et al. Clearance of p16Ink4a-positive senescent cells delays ageing-associated disorders. Nature. 2011 Nov 2;479(7372):232-6.
- Carlsson S, Hammar N, Grill V, Kaprio J. Alcohol consumption and the incidence of type 2 diabetes: a 20-year follow-up of the Finnish twin cohort study. Diabetes Care. 2003 Oct;26(10):2785-90.
- Cullmann M, Hilding A, Östenson CG. Alcohol consumption and risk of pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes development in a Swedish population. Diabet Med. 2012 Apr;29(4):441-52.
- Fan AZ, Russell M, Naimi T, et al. Patterns of alcohol consumption and the metabolic syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Oct;93(10):3833-8.
- Lindtner C, Scherer T, Zielinski E, et al. Binge drinking induces whole-body insulin resistance by impairing hypothalamic insulin action. Sci Transl Med. 2013 Jan 30;5(170):170ra14.
- Mitka M. College binge drinking still on the rise. JAMA. 2009 Aug 26;302(8):836-7.
- Crews FT, Mdzinarishvili A, Kim D, He J, Nixon K. Neurogenesis in adolescent brain is potently inhibited by ethanol. Neuroscience. 2006;137(2):437-45.