Free Shipping on All Orders $75 Or More!

Your Trusted Brand for Over 35 Years

Daily News

Findings on Biomarkers Reported by Investigators at University College (Association of 10-year C-reactive Protein Trajectories With Markers of Healthy Aging: Findings From the English Longitudinal Study of Aging)

Disease Prevention Daily

05-09-19

2019 MAY 08 (NewsRx) -- By a News Reporter-Staff News Editor at Disease Prevention Daily -- A new study on Diagnostics and Screening - Biomarkers is now available. According to news reporting originating from London, United Kingdom, by NewsRx correspondents, research stated, “Elevated systematic inflammation is a hallmark of aging, but the association of long-term inflammation trajectories with subsequent aging phenotypes has been little examined. We assessed inflammatory marker C-reactive protein (CRP) repeatedly over time and examined whether long-term changes predicted aging outcomes.”

Financial supporters for this research include National Institute on Aging, consortium of the UK government departments, Medical Research Council, NordForsk, Academy of Finland.

Our news editors obtained a quote from the research from University College, “A total of 2,437 men and women aged 47-87 years at baseline (1998-2001) who were participants in the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing had CRP measured on two or three occasions between 1998 and 2009. Inflammation trajectories were computed using latent-class growth mixture modeling and were related to aging outcomes measured in 2012/2013: physical functioning, cardiometabolic, respiratory, mental health, and a composite healthy aging outcome. Four CRP trajectories were identified as follows: stable-low (71 per cent of the sample) with baseline mean 1.33 mg/L remaining <3 mg/L; medium-to-high (14 per cent) with baseline 2.7 mg/L rising to 5.3 mg/L; high-to-medium (10 per cent) with baseline 6.6 mg/L decreasing to 2.4 mg/L; and stable-high (5 per cent) with levels from 5.7 to 7.5 mg/L. Relative to the stable-low trajectory, individuals in the medium-to-high had a higher risk of limitations in basic activities of daily living (ADL, odds ratio; 95% confidence interval: 2.09; 1.51, 2.88), instrumental ADL (1.62; 1.15, 2.30), impaired balance (1.59; 1.20, 2.11) and walking speed (1.61; 1.15, 2.24), arthritis (1.55; 1.16, 2.06), hypertension (1.57; 1.21, 2.04), obesity (1.95; 1.36, 2.80), poor respiratory function (1.84; 1.36, 2.50), and depression (1.55; 1.13, 2.12). A lower odds of healthy aging was observed in people in the medium-to-high (0.57; 0.40, 0.79) and stable-high (0.50; 0.27, 0.91) trajectories.”

According to the news editors, the research concluded: “Older people who displayed an elevation in CRP levels over a decade experienced an increased risk of adverse aging outcomes.”

For more information on this research see: Association of 10-year C-reactive Protein Trajectories With Markers of Healthy Aging: Findings From the English Longitudinal Study of Aging. The Journals of Gerontology Series A, 2019;74(2):195-203. The Journals of Gerontology Series A can be contacted at: Oxford Univ Press Inc, Journals Dept, 2001 Evans Rd, Cary, NC 27513, USA.

The news editors report that additional information may be obtained by contacting C. Lassale, University College, Dept. of Epidemiology and Public Health, 1-19 Torrington Pl, London WC1E 7HB, United Kingdom. Additional authors for this research include G.D. Batty, T.N. Akbaraly, M. Kivimaki, P. Zaninotto, A. Steptoe and D. Cadar.

The direct object identifier (DOI) for that additional information is: https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/gly028. This DOI is a link to an online electronic document that is either free or for purchase, and can be your direct source for a journal article and its citation.

(Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world.)

Articles featured in Life Extension Daily News are derived from a variety of news sources and are provided as a service by Life Extension. These articles, while of potential interest to readers of Life Extension Daily News, do not necessarily represent the opinions nor constitute the advice of Life Extension.

;