The Sacramento Bee, Calif.
Broccoli gets a bad rap. If it's not then-President George H.W. Bush disparaging the veggie, it's Homer Simpson getting killed by eating a sprout on "The Simpsons." Clearly, broccoli needs a better agent. Take our quiz about the positives of this member of the cabbage family.
1. A recent study by London researchers found that the compound sulforaphane found in broccoli activates a protein that reduces inflammation ... where?
c) Large muscle groups
2. University of Illinois researchers found that broccoli with enhanced bioactive contents helps detoxify enzymes and might result in what breakthrough?
a) Preventing cancer
b) Preventing heart disease
c) Preventing kidney failure
3. Broccoli sprouts, according to UCLA researchers, can reduce the incidence of which condition?
a) Kidney stones
4. In addition to helping reverse heart damage in diabetics, according to researchers in Britain, broccoli consumption helps people suffering from what?
a) Liver disease
b) Crohn's disease
c) Kidney disease
5. According to the Web site www.groovyvegetarian.com, Tom "Broccoli" Landers holds the world record for eating a pound of broccoli in how many seconds?
ANSWERS: 1: b; 2: a; 3: b; 4: c; 5: c
Sources: The journal Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, the journal Clinical Immunology, the journal Diabetes