DHEA Restoration Therapy
What is DHEA Restoration Therapy?
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is a steroid hormone with many biological roles. DHEA is a precursor to the sex hormones (androgens and estrogens) as well as having many functions independent of sex hormones. DHEA levels tend to decline with age, and loss of youthful hormone balance—and DHEA in particular—is linked with many age-associated diseases. Restoring youthful DHEA levels may help prevent or improve outcomes of several conditions.
DHEA levels (usually measured as the metabolite DHEA-S) should be monitored as part of a healthy aging strategy for both men and women. DHEA can be an integral part of a comprehensive hormone replacement regimen.
What are Risks of Low DHEA Levels?
- Cognitive decline
- Cardiovascular disease
- Bone loss
- Sexual dysfunction
- Inflammation and inflammatory disorders
What are the Potential Benefits of DHEA Restoration?
- Improved cognitive function and mood
- Increased bone mineral density
- Enhanced cardiovascular health
- Improved insulin sensitivity
- Enhanced immune function
- Youthful skin restoration
- Improved sexual function in men and women
- Decreased levels of inflammatory markers
- Increased longevity
- A metabolite of DHEA, 7-Keto DHEA, has been linked with improved metabolism
Note: Concerns have been raised regarding DHEA supplementation and hormone-sensitive cancers. To date, no study has convincingly shown an increased risk of hormone-dependent cancer in people supplementing with DHEA. As always, anyone with a medical condition should consult their doctor before beginning a new supplement or medication.